Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sorry these are sporadic at best (LONG POST AHEAD)

SO a lot has happened. I will try to recap from memory as factually and chronologically as I can.

So I turned 21 on the 21st of September.

On the Sunday before that, I met Ryo at Shinagawa-eki (eki=station). Then we rode the train out to Yokohama, where he got lunch at Freshness Burger before getting his car and making the 2-3 hour drive to Kamakura. (Yes, Ryo drove all the way from Shiga-ken [ken = prefecture] to Yokohama. He said it took around 7 hours.)

We parked the car and went to a shrine (I don't remember the name, it was kinda long) where we made wishes, got fortunes, ate a candy apple, watched the koi fish in the pond, all while Ryo was explaining certain things about shrines to me. We saw a traditional Shinto style wedding party there! Ryo bought me these snake fortunes that are supposed to help me bring good luck and wealth. We went to a couple of shops near the shrine, where they had traditional dishes and lacquerware and chopsticks and mirrors and whatnot. There were also cell phone charms, geta sandals, and jewelry.

After that, we drove out to Enoshima. Everyone there is tan because everyone surfs and spends their time on the beach. There's a lot of Hawaiian-influenced stuff. THE WATER WAS NATURALLY WARM HOLY SHIT. As an Alaskan, that was a new experience for me, going to a real beach.

We stayed the night out there, then came back to Tokyo. Ryo stayed at the apartment with me. Sarah was sick and Maura was in America at the time. On my actual birthday, we went to Ueno, ate okonomiyaki, went to karaoke, then went back home.

I also received a happy birthday message from Myuji on mixi. That was awesome.

BEST BIRTHDAY EVER.

I was very very sad when Ryo left for Shiga-ken.

I met a guy named Hiro, who is in this silly idol group called VKB428 (http://www.vkb428.com/index.html). He's on the "K-team." They're supposed to be visual kei, but really, they're just pop. The only actually VK member is Taku (who is so freaking adorable oh my god). Hiro is also a model, he's been in magazines before. He's also half Italian, but doesn't look it. (Side note: Most people who are half Japanese and look full don't admit they're half over here, for various reasons.) They're all really good at singing, though.

OCTOBER. Dates are fuzzy.

KING OF TATTOO: My first tattoo convention. It was AWESOME. It was in Daikanyama (which is near Shibuya). So many tattoo artists and people from so many different countries. There were piercers, suspensions, Horiyoshi III, contests (including the facial piercing contest, which I got Shanghai'd into), my tattoo artist was there, and I made friends! =D I bought a t-shirt and got free posters.

At some point, I went to a Tripolysm live and gave Myuji/Chaka/Daigoro their omiyage (gifts) I brought them from Alaska. I got another Myuji guitar pick. =D

I feel like I'm forgetting something. >.o; Bah.

I bought pink and blue colored contacts. Bwahahaha. I can't wear them for long though, because the pigment makes my eyes hurt after a while.

Sarah and I went to a host club with her (not Japanese) friend Atsuko. I kinda had to translate a lot. It was fun though. Hard to understand some of the hosts though, cuz a lot of them were Kansai-jin (people from the Kansai region, which is where Kyoto/Osaka/Kobe are. Tokyo is in the Kanto region).

On the 28th, I finally got to see Dir en grey for the first time in almost four years. The last time was in Arizona in February of 2007. I don't care how old/creepy/weird/short Kyo is, I still love his voice and I still love the band and HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT LIVE WAS AMAZING. I went by myself, but my friends Jacey and Kris were there too. ^_^ My body was so sore the next night because EVERYONE was moshing. I could see Toshiya and Kyo very well from where I was standing. I almost cried during the encore, when they played THE FINAL. Holy shit. It was amazing.

The night before Halloween, Maura and I got dressed up (her costume was Trent, her own character) and I was "lazy VK drag king." We met up in Shibuya and went to Alcatraz, the prison-hospital-themed izakaya (restaurant). It was great. Afterwards, we meandered about, drinking, talking with random drunk people, stopped at Donki, looked at other people's costumes and the like. It was fun. I saw Hiro and he sang happy birthday to me because he had missed it. Halloween night (last night), Maura & I watched horror movies, and watched the Garfield Halloween special with her parents on Skype.

So on the day before Halloween, after another VKB428 live (gotta support your friends!) and before I hung out with Erin and Maura, I went to the Tower Records in Shibuya to see what was going on. I saw LM.C's new single at the "LISTEN TO THESE" section, so I did, grabbed a copy, and went to the register. The clerk asked me why I only had one copy. I was confused.

Apparently, the bright fucking yellow stickers with the kanji I couldn't read said "If you buy two copies, you get a ticket for an LM.C event" (paraphrasing). Long story short, event on Halloween in the basement stage of Tower Records.

So the next day I go, and I'm waiting in line. Apparently, (my mistake) it wasn't a live, but a "shake-hands" event where you go on stage, say hi to Maya-tan and Aiji, and shake their hands.

I turn to the chick behind me and ask what I should say. She laughs and says "Happy Halloween?"

So I get onto the stage, and my heart starts beating like crazy. Also MAYA IS FUCKING TALL. Like Miyavi height (around 6 feet). And he's even more hot in person, holy shit.

I get to Maya and say "Happii harowiin!" and shake his hand. He does not let go of my hand as he says (in English) "What country are you from?" I said America, and he says "Oh! Where in America?" and I say "Arasuka-shuu. (Alaska)" Then I couldn't talk cuz I was so nervous, and a staff member tapped my shoulder to say I should move onto Aiji.

I shake Aiji's hand and say "Happii harowiin! Yoroshiku onegaishimasu (nice to meet you)" to which Aiji replied "Nihongo shaberu no? (you can speak Japanese?)" I told him "sukoshi dake (only a little)." He asked if I was studying, and I told him yes, and then he said in English "Do your best!" I almost died.

I made friends with the chick behind me. Her name is Miki and she also lives in Nakano-ku!

Shit like all the stuff I mentioned above is the reason I love being here.

No comments: