Sure I think about you now and then
But it's been a long, long time
I've got a good life now, and I've moved on
So when you cross my mind...
I try not to think about what might have been
Cause that was then
And we have taken different roads
We can't go back again
There's no use givin' in
And there's no way to know
What might have been
We can sit and talk about this all night long
And wonder why we didn't last
Yes, they might be the best days we will ever know
But we'll have to leave them in the past...
So try not to think about what might have been
Cause that was then
And we have taken different roads
We can't go back again
There's no use givin' in
And there's no way to know
What might have been
That same old look in your eyes
It's a beautiful night, I'm so tempted to stay
But too much time has gone by
We should just say good bye, and turn and walk away...
And try not to think about what might have been
Cause that was then
And we have taken different roads
We can't go back again
There's no use givin' in
And there's no way to know
What might have been
No we'll never know, what might have been
"What Might Have Been" by Lonestar
Yes, I know, "WTF SHE KNOWS A COUNTRY SONG!?" It's all I used to hear with my mom in the car and stuff as a kid.
Ignoring the country part...
Brandon was kind enough to walk me to the station tonight after our Kanji class. He's from Portland, so talking to him got me kinda nostalgic about Pacific, and our conversation made me think of various "What if I had..." scenarios.
Life is choices and trade-offs and sacrifices. I've learned that the hard way.
What if I had gone on the Euro trip before college?
What if I had stayed in Alaska?
What if I had stayed at Pacific?
What if I had stayed here for this past summer?
Some of the possible answers to these questions make me shudder (hooray hindsight being 20/20, yeah?). And yet, some of them make me sad that I'm missing out on certain things.
I know it's stupid to wonder about that kind of thing, but I think it's normal and unavoidable.
I've left behind family, close friends, and lovers to try to follow my dreams. Sometimes I wonder if I've made a mistake. Other times I'm glad I made that choice.
rabblerabble /emoness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment